HeartCode PALS is an online comprehensive eLearning program that uses eSimulation technology to allow students to assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. In this environment, students apply their knowledge to real-time decision-making and skills development.
Students who successfully complete the online portion of the course receive a certificate granting them access to a PALS Hands-on Skills Session with an AHA PALS Instructor, or with a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) or Simulation Station. Students must successfully complete both the online portion and the hands-on skills session to receive a PALS Provider course completion card.
Online Portion: approximately 6-9 hours depending on the level of knowledge and clinical experience of the student.
Students who successfully complete the PALS Course will receive a PALS Provider course completion card, valid for two years:
- HeartCode PALS Online Portion. Upon successful completion of the online portion, including the written exam, students receive a certificate of completion, which must be presented for the hands-on skills session with an AHA PALS Instructor, or with a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) or Simulation Station.
- Hands-on skills session with an AHA PALS Instructor, or with a VAM or Simulation Station.
- To enter the course, students must complete the PALS Precourse Self-Assessment. Students are then presented with 12 In-hospital patient cases and a team dynamics lesson. Cases may be repeated as many times as necessary to pass. Upon successful completion of all the patient cases, students must pass the multiple-choice exam with a minimum score of 84%.
- Web-based, self-paced eSimulation instructional program for PALS cognitive training
- Students apply knowledge to real-time decision-making and skills development
- Debriefings and coaching are provided immediately after each simulation to facilitate learning
- Access to the PALS Provider Manual, the 2015 Handbook of ECC, and 2015 AHA Guidelines for CPR and ECC
- Access to all information in course for two years following activation of course